Clandeboye Park

Referee :Shane Andrews

Linfield Scorer :John Robertson 33'

Bangor Scorers :

Ben Cushnie 37', 47'

Linfield Team :

David Walsh (GK) (Matthew Williamson 72’), Michael Newberry, Ryan McKay (Kielan Reid 72’), Josh Archer (James Bleakley 72’), Aodhan Doherty (Kalum Thompson 72’), Jamie Mulgrew ©, Max Haygarth (Eoin McCarthy 43’), Andrew Clarke, Liam McStravick (Liam Burns 72’), Rhys Annett, John Robertson


42 hours on from their European match against Pogon Szczecin, Linfield fielded their unused substitutes along with several young talents in a worthwhile run-out against newly-promoted Championship side Bangor in a Clandeboye Park friendly this afternoon.

The Blues had the opportunity to take the lead from the penalty spot after eight minutes after Andrew Clarke was fouled inside the box, however the young Bangor goalkeeper made a good save down low to his left to deny John Robertson.

Robertson wasn’t to be denied on 33 minutes however as he put Linfield ahead. After receiving the ball from young Aodhan Doherty, the Scotsman worked half a yard to drill the ball into the far corner with his right foot.

Linfield’s lead was short lived as Bangor hit back four minutes later when Seasiders striker Ben Arthurs split the Blues’ backline with a neat threaded pass to put Ben Cushnie through on goal before he finished excellently past David Walsh.

The Blues then lost Max Haygarth who pulled up injured a few minutes before the break, leading to an opportunity for Eoin McCarthy from Linfield Swifts.

Half Time: Bangor 1 – 1 Linfield

David Healy’s men had a great chance soon after the break as Rhys Annett found himself with a free header at close range, however he header straight at the ‘keeper.

Then, within a minute, Bangor took the lead up the other end as Scott McArthur latched onto a ball into the box before pulling the ball back to Ben Cushnia to leather in from 15 yards for his second of the day.

John Robertson was disappointed that he didn’t level things up on the hour-mark, as he was picked out by Aodhan Doherty’s excellent cross to the front post area where he headed just wide.

Young winger Doherty then went close himself as his well-struck shot from a tight angle inside the box came crashing back off the upright.

Substitute goalkeeper Matthew Williamson made a good diving save on 83 minutes to deny Bangor’s Dylan O’Kane who struck a good strike from 20 yards.

John Robertson went close to a late leveller for Linfield when he spun in behind to be found by an excellent pass from Kielan Reid, but when the forward hit a first-time volley it flashed wide of goal.

Full Time: Bangor 2 – 1 Linfield

Leave a Reply